Ron Pitts

Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 11, 2010

tiki - Tikier - TIKIEST!

There was a time when I was asked to participate in an theme: Do Tiki art. Whatever, so long as it featured a TIKI.

"TIKI-IN-LAW" - This was done with nobody in mind. I want to be up-front about that as I am divorced and bear no ill will to anyone from my past. But I overheard this variant at the South Shore Tiki Lounge some years ago. I thought it was funny. However, the waitress in the background is a cameo of one of my Best Friends (Emily S.) who is employed at the Tiki Lounge.

I was honored and lucky enough to join with many fine, gifted Maui artists invited to contribute. Happy to oblige, I decided to put the TIKI idol in more contemporary surrounds. Contemporary might not be the right word. You can judge for yourself:


"IRONY"
This took about two seconds to dream up. It practically drew itself.  I mean really! A guy named Barber with NO HAIR? Add the Tiki to the front of the name and there you have it - IRONY.



"Kong Tiki"
I love old movies and good books. Thor Heyerdahl wrote of his ill fated seagoing ship of reeds christened Kon-Tiki in the 'RA I Expeditions'. That was a book that I'd read as a child and for the old flicks, well the plight of  Fay Rae in "King Kong" used to give me nightmares. Big monkeys with hot chicks are scary to little kids. My fear has since subsided and my sense of satire has grown.


"Tikinaut"

The space walking Tiki was fun and creepy at the same time. Tikis, being wooden idols, need no oxygen so I could remove its helmet. The creepy part is when I replaced the tradition NASA umbilical hose with what is about a 16 foot long centipede. Anyone living in the tropics will understand the centipedes' diabolical and painful ways and why I got the creeps just drawing the creature.   Uggghhhh!

"TIKI KEIKI LEAKI"


I wish the Wikil-Leaks scandal broke before I did this bit of 'bathroom' art. A child is called a 'keiki' in Hawai'i in case you didn't follow the title parts.



"ROLLING COCONUTZ"

The Rolling Stones. You could travel to the most remote hamlet on Earth and that name would be familiar to the local denizens. The cool part is that the Stones released their "Tattoo You" album some 30+ years ago featuring Mick Jagger wearing a facial tattoo - a'la a Maori Warrior.  And Keith Richard, well, he just looks like a Tiki nowadays. Besides, he has a recent propensity for climbing up / falling from coconut trees, gravity be damned!


"MOUNT RUSHMOKE"
Just trying to include our lovely 50th State in the Icon of American History. A 'Moke" is an Hawaiian term that is the equivalent of "Hockey Goon" in NHL parlance. Big, tough and kinda scary, but good people. (Sometimes).

"ART CRITIKI"

This one requires no explanation. It's obvious to even the most obtuse of observers. Unless you are an art critic and then you're out of luck because the explanation would just leave you more confused than before.


Gotta get back to the TUGBOATS and 'things nautique'.

1 comment: